Who needs nasty store-bought power bars when you can make them yourself? Right?! I was in a baking mood last night and pulled out this great recipe for peanut butter power bars from one of my fave cookbooks Grazing by Julie Van Rosendaal. So I thought I'd share (check the pantry before you get started).
Here's what you need (don't be intimidated by the long list):
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup peanut butter (I use just peanuts peanut butter)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup oats
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Stir together brown sugar, peanut butter, milk, honey, oil, and vanilla.
- In another bowl stir together flour, oats, baking soda and salt.
- Add dry mixture to wet mixture along with dried cranberries, chocolate chips, almonds, pumpkin seeds, coconut, and flaxseed; stir until well blended.
- Spread the batter in a baking pan that has been sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Bake for 23 minutes, until golden and cool.