To ring in our wedding anniversary and the Hubs' birthday I pulled out all the stops. No fancy gifts or overpriced restaurant food, just a bottle of wine (mummy has a headache), our backyard and delicious homemade grub!
The menu was very guy-friendly and included "The Ultimate Burger" from a recipe in the LCBO BBQ Central magazine, grilled corn on the cob and a simple arugula salad. For something sweet I baked a flourless chocolate torte (courtesy of Gluten Free Girl) garnished with raspberries (to die for!). You can't have a birthday dinner without a cake right?!
Want to pull this meal together yourself for the long weekend? Here you go...
The Ultimate Burger
- 2 lbs of ground chuck (have it ground at your local butcher, the supermarket ground beef is too fine for these burger heavyweights)
- Salt and Pepper
- Cherry tomatoes
- Provolone cheese
- BBQ Sauce (I suggest you make your own and I've included the recipe below)
- Divide meat into 4 equal portions and pack into a loosely packed patty.
- Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Grill patties on high for about 3-4 minutes per side or until just cooked (you want them to be juicy).
- Top burger with grilled salami, provolone cheese, arugula, cherry tomatoes and BBQ sauce.
BBQ sauce is a hot item in our house and a recipe that the Hubs is constantly trying to perfect. I found this recipe in the same LCBO magazine and I hate to say it, but it was the tastiest BBQ sauce yet.
Here's what you need:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 whole garlic cloves
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup dark beer
- Heat olive oil on low and brown garlic cloves for 10 minutes
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil on medium heat.
- Reduce to one cup, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and using a hand blender, pulverize until smooth.
Worth the effort!
Happy long weekend everyone!!!