A good carrot ginger soup recipe is hard to find. Some are too thin and unsatisfying while others are too creamy and some just have no flavour at all. Recently I've been making this dairy-free version and I'm loving it. It's thick and filling (cashews give it its richness), full of delicious spice and just the right amount of carroty ginger goodness. Plus, L'il E laps it right up.
Give it a try!
[print_this]Carrot Ginger Soup
- 2lbs carrots (one bag)
- 4 cups water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 cups chopped onion (approx. 2 smallish onions)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp ginger (cut off a 2 inch nub)
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp fennel
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp all spice
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4 cup cashews
- Fill large pot with 4 cups of water and add chopped carrots, bring to a boil and let carrots cook for about 10-15 minutes.
- While carrots are cooking sautee onions in a pan until they are clear, then add chopped garlic and ginger and sautee for another 5 minutes.
- Add spices, salt and lemon juice to onion mixture and stir until seasoning covers everything.
- Add onion spice mixture to pot of carrots and water.
- Add cashews, stir and then puree with a blender stick.
It's so easy and delicious!