A few weeks ago the Hubs and I had the luxury of going out for a few tipples and I tried out something new - a mint julep.
Have you ever had one? They're refreshingly delicious, but if you can't hold your liquor I'm warning you they do pack punch! Which is funny because when I see this drink I think of refined women in hats and dresses standing on the sidelines at the Kentucky Derby. They must be hardcore!
Anyhow, with all of the mint we have growing in our backyard I'm dedicating this evening to perfecting the mint julep and tossing one or two back (zzz).
Here's what you need.
- A handful of fresh mint leaves (20-25 leaves)
- 2 tsps. sugar
- 2-3 oz. bourbon (Wild Turkey, JD, Jim Bean, Maker's Mark...)
- Lot's of crushed ice (or a little, depending on how stiff you like them)
- Muddle mint leaves and sugar in a glass until sugar dissolves (take your time).
- Add choice of bourbon.
- Top off with plenty of ice and stir.
Happy slurping...er sipping!