We all get invited to them and we all find them mildly annoying (right ladies?) Yep I'm talking about baby showers. Despite our dislike, we go and have "fun", play silly games and the mom-to-be walks away with a generous load of gifts for her impending bundle of joy. So if you want to be a good friend get her stuff she REALLY needs. Being a new mom myself here is my list of must-have items for the new mom-to-be:
1. Gift card to Shopper's Drug Mart - Pampers (Huggies leak), nipple cream, nursing pads, diaper rash ointment...these items will become number one on your list and you'll be making countless trips to Shoppers, the gift card will come in handy.
2. Burp cloths - You can never have too many of these (I like the plain flannel ones and Bamboobino ones are good for small jobs). I use several a day to clean up spit up, wipe tears, cover up while he's nursing etc.
3. Plain white Gerber onesies - long sleeve and short sleeve, they're cheap and cheerful and you can buy them at Walmart. E wears one every day.
4. Nursing pillow - this can double as a tummy time pillow/lounger for the little babe to sit in. I have the Boppy (lent to me by my sis-in-law) and I've heard it's better than the My Brest Friend.
5. Baby Bjorn Bouncer - If you want to splurge, the Baby Bjorn Babysitter Balance is the best thing we've purchased for L'il E. I don't know what we would do without the thing, it literally IS a babysitter. He sits in it while we're cooking, eating, showering, sewing, ironing, watching TV it is a MUST HAVE. If you want to splurge even more I recommend the activity bar (E's eyes almost pop out with excitement when we spin the little wooden toys).
6. Gift card to the spa - After you give birth you feel pretty scuzzy and a day at the spa is just what the doctor ordered. Get her a gift card for a pedi, mani, facial, massage at her local spa and you will totally make her day.
Hope this gives you some ideas for baby shower gifts. Enjoy sipping non-alcoholic punch and identifying melted chocolate bars in diapers (snore!)