grill-worthy quinoa burgers
My backyard, a quinoa veggie burger, sweet potato fries and bevvies. Yum!
On Saturday night we had a little backyard BBQ action, but it was of the meatless variety. I love the challenge of a vegetarian dinner guest!
I wanted to keep things casual and I wanted something that everyone would enjoy - even the meat lovers - so I decided to give quinoa burgers a try. I scoured the web for a good recipe and I found one over at the The Vegan Project.
This recipe has lots of flavour, is filling and kept their form on the grill (no crumbling!). I also whipped them up in under 30 minutes. So, if you're having veggie company this summer, keep this recipe in your back pocket, they blow the pre-made veggie burgers out of the water and you're left looking like superstar.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 cup oats (not instant)
- 1.5 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tsp cajun spice
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp tamari (wheat free soy sauce)
- 2 tbsp chickpea flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Brown rice flour for dusting
- Olive oil
- In a food processor mix garlic, onion and chickpeas until well mixed but not pureed, then add oat and mix some more.
- Remove the mixture into a large mixing bowl and mix in parsley, quinoa, spices, tamari and chickpea flour until well blended.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, cover and put in fridge for 15 minutes.
- Form the mixture into six patties, spray with a little olive oil and dust with rice flour.
- Heat on grill for five minutes per side or until you see the grill marks.
- Serve with all the fixings. I highly recommend hot mango chutney!
Happy veggie grilling!