So I've been back at work for a week now and I think I'm going to be OK. I say this because to be honest returning to work after a year-long maternity leave is not easy. Not in an OMG I miss being at home kind of way, but in an oh ya I forgot about this person I was before my baby kinda way.
Like seriously I can't remember the last time I was able to sit uninterrupted ALL day, or go to the bathroom in peace or eat my lunch sitting down. It's such a weird feeling and a huge adjustment, but no one really talks about it. There are countless articles online about getting ready to go back to work - juggling work/life balance, what clothes you should buy, how you should act - but none of them really talk about how you're going to FEEL. I sort of feel like Brooks from Shawshank Redemption, although less morbid.
So without further ado here's what you need to prepare yourself for:
1. You're going to cry. I don't care how tough you are. Stash some tissues in your pockets because you'll be teary eyed for the first few days and you'll likely ball your eyes out in the bathroom at least once.
2. Someone is going to say something that will offend you. It's probably not intentionally offensive, but you'll be so emotional that you'll take most comments as a personal jab.
3. You're going to feel a bit dumb and out of the loop, hell I feel like I have amnesia some days. They call it baby brain for a reason girls. I didn't think I had it, but yep I do. So just smile and nod because before long you'll be the cracker jack you used to be.
4. You're going to ask yourself if you can do it. Just say these three words YES I CAN because you can and you will. Before long you'll be settled into a new routine and it will be awesome.
5. You're going to feel the love. I love seeing my L'il E at the end of the day and he does everything he can to make me laugh every night.
Onward and upward!! I'm feeling excited about this new chapter.
Best of luck! I'd love to hear your back to work blues stories.