I’m not a fan of white cakey blueberry muffins, but I LOVE blueberries and muffins so I went on a search to find a healthier option (we have so many blueberries!). My ingredient requirement included oats, brown sugar, a small amount of butter and whole wheat flour. This Blueberry Oatmeal Muffin recipe met almost all of the requirements and they taste amazing!
Here’s the recipe if you want to give them a try:
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup all purpose flour (I substituted 1/2 cup whole wheat flour; 1/2 cup all purpose white flour)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 cup buttermilk (I didn’t have any so I added 1tbsp lemon juice to one cup of milk; let stand for 5 mins so it has time to curdle)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Combine oats and buttermilk in a small bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl mix together flour, soda, salt, powder and sugar.
- Add egg and butter to wet oat mixture and mix well.
- Add oat mixture all at once to dry mixture and combine until you can’t see anymore dry bits.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Scoop batter into muffin cups.
- Bake for 20 mins.
Eat as soon as they come out of the oven! Yum!