zucchini lemon walnut muffins
Now that I'm on maternity leave I've taken to baking a little more than usual. My latest baking adventure was zucchini lemon walnut muffins from Grazing: Portable Snacks and Finger Food for Anytime, Anywhere by Julie Van Rosendaal (yes I think I've made almost everything in this cookbook). The muffins turned out beautifully but sleep deprived 'ol me missed one crucial ingredient...SUGAR. We ate a few but I ended up tossing the rest. I intend on making them again (with sugar) because they did taste delicious. If you feel like making them yourself I've included the recipe below or just go out and buy the book.
Here's what you need:
- 2 cups flour (I used half white and half whole wheat)
- 3/4 cup sugar (don't forget this important ingredient)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 cups grated unpeeled zucchini (I hate zuccini but it tastes great in muffins, loaves and cakes!)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl whisk together milk, eggs, oil, and lemon zest then add flour mixture as well as grated zucchini and walnuts. Stir until combined.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and springy to the touch.