no soup for you
So I'm three weeks away from my due date and according to all of the books I've been reading I should be "nesting" (scrubbing floors, cleaning the woodwork, washing walls), but I haven't really had the urge. Instead, I've been lying on the couch watching the Hubs make and stockpile delicious homemade soups in the freezer for the last couple of weeks.
His latest was a Butternut Squash and Apple Soup (my all time fave!) from The Stop's Good Food For All so I thought I would make myself useful and share the recipe with y'all.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 gloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into cubes
- 4 cups vegetable broth (we used low sodium)
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced
- 1 14oz. can of coconut milk (use the full fat stuff, seriously!)
- kosher salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and nutmeg; saute until onion begins to brown.
- Add squash, veg broth, apples and coconut milk. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until squash and apple are tender (about 30 mins)
- Using an immersion blender (like a Cuisnart blender stick thing/wand), puree soup really well (avoid using a blender, did that once and it exploded all over the kitchen because of the heat) making sure there are no lumps. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring soup to a simmer.
Serve this up with a nice crusty stick of bread and cheese and you're in business!